Saturday, July 3, 2010

Different Beauties

The San Juan mountains offer beauty from afar, red sun setting or rising over gray mountains. Yet there is beauty all around. Erwins have a beautiful rose bush in their garden, needing care and daily water, but producing such soft and delicate beauty.

Nursing flowers in this dry, sunny climate requires special selection and care. I chose some I thought looked good in the greenhouse. My selections have a mixed review of life. The sun cooked the poppies in 2 days, reducing them to a wilted mass with a spot of color. The others, I'm not sure the name of the yellows, have done very, very well in the long, direct sunlight. Next summer when we choose flowers for our own deck, we'll certainly avoid the poppies and go more to the gold ones. I guess I'd better figure out their name, eh?

No comments: