Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Taking Parking Seriously

Traffic congestion in Jakarta is a very serious issue. Often movement on large thoroughfares ceases and it makes one consider stepping out and walking.

With so many cars and motorbikes competing for space, what's to do with your vehicle when it's not in use? Different approaches create varying scenarios in ones mind.

To the left is one example that may engender one set of circumstances. If you park here, a large, leather clad, middle aged man is going to come out and take you to task. If verbal persuasion doesn't work, a pummeling may take place.


The no parking sign on the right intimates a much harsher response. To actually occupy a parking space reserved by a global security network would really be endangering your safety. Police? Army commandos? Conventional airborne weapons? Even a nuclear strike on your car?

People are very serious about their parking spaces in Jakarta.

4 comments:

alona beloussova said...

Mr.Hughes! Will you be visiting JIS? I hope you will!

Michael said...

You will see me around, Alona. I haven't disappeared, though I've bought one of those disappearing cloaks like from Harry Potter. I just can't get it to work.

:-)
mjh

alona beloussova said...

haha! So you are in jakarta now?

Michael said...

I am here. :-) I couldn't leave behind a special person, so I'll be hanging around for the school year. I have no plans to be on campus yet, but I'm sure I'll wander by.

By the way, I'll continue to comment on any of your blog posts as well.

I miss seeing you.

mjh