Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Victoria Memorial

What would visiting Calcutta be without a trip to the Victoria Memorial? It seems at the top of every guidebook and tourist resource. Yesterday I made the pilgrimage and was impressed by many things.

I spent much time in the grounds surrounding the memorial, and in the end I believe the well cared for park of 64 acres may be its finest feature. Few overflowing Asian cities can boast such a large amount of public green in the center of the city. There were as many enjoying the outdoor space as those inside the building. From all available evidence, it must have been Couples Day at the memorial.

In 1921 the memorial was opened and remains in very good condition, especially the buffed to glowing exterior. Inside there is an extensive catalogue of Indian history, particularly during the time of English influence and governance. I felt a little uncomfortable with looking at the displays from the point of view of a Caucasian occupation, but the Indians present were very engaged. I came away with much knowledge and a couple of points I need to research. The battle of Plassey? The more I learn, the less I seem to know.


Upon leaving the memorial I saw this work crew I thought was almost comical. Can you tell which one is the boss? The mid level laborers? And finally those at the bottom (ground level?). Classic work gang around the world. :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey are you purposely leaving out details about what you've been eating there? And what is this I just heard reported about an onion shortage and threat to the availability/cost of Indian curry?

(good job reporting on the other stuff though!)

Maya ♥ said...

i completely love ur head scarf thing :) its a good look for you haha

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

- Maya