Friday, June 18, 2010

Deaf School In India

What an experience. Very close to the apartment we were staying in was a deaf school for very disadvantaged students. We walked over to take a look, and we were very well received by the administration and students. Signing was the way of communication, and I found I remembered some of my skills learned from Ben this year. :-) More practice, more remembering.

To start, it was about me remembering my American Sign Language, but quickly it became about friendship, acceptance, and trying to bridge differences from one person to another. I feel this is going to be a long term relationship...when we visit India again in August and then again in December, we will again visit the school, this time really looking at ways we can help out.

Language is such a barrier, but in this instance, signing will become a bond.

mjh

1 comment:

Valentina said...

Wow, thats cool! That must be fun! Do they do Hindi Sign Language?
Val!
PS: My friends and I started a blogging thing, its fun!