Sunday, June 20, 2010

First Father-less Fathers Day

Today is my first Fathers Day with no living father. But because Dad is not with me any more does not mean I'm not thinking of him. I was surprised how conditioned I am to contact him.

I noticed when the plane landed in Seattle, my first reaction was to call and tell him we're on the continent. Today, the same. I wasn't out of bed yet and I was thinking of calling Dad, wishing him well, and expressing how much he's meant to me over a lifetime.

The accompanying photo of me, Dad, and Pat is one of the last ones I have of him. It was taken at Christmas at one of the usual happy family gatherings. Fortunately, I was aware of his gradually declining health, and was aware each time we met it could be for the last. I so valued that time together.

What I've found is that Dad is still with me, even though he has passed away. The memories of all his qualities, the good and maybe less good will stay with me a lifetime, I'm sure. I just hope I am be the same kind of father he was to me.

I've a very lucky life.

3 comments:

Nicholas Pudjarminta said...

It's great your thinking of your father even thou he has passed away.....

O yeah i decided to do some blogging for the holiday but i'm not useing my normal blogger acount, i decided to start a blog on my take action website, because i want to start using that website more.....

The URL is http://takeactionclub.webs.com
once your in the home page just go to the blogger section on the green tool bar

Jane Lee said...

That's sad. That happened to both of my parents. My mom and dad both don't have their father anymore. But I'm really happy that you still remember him. O yeah, I just recognized that Seattle is the place where Twilight happened, when Bella went dress shopping with her friends.

Valentina said...

Woah. I still have my grandparents...